Answer of Why Zoos are Good with Explanation is taken from IELTS Academic Reading: Cambridge 14, Reading Test 4: Passage 2 and is aimed for candidates who have major problems in finding IELTS Reading Answers.
Download Link 1
Download Link 1
Answer of Why Zoos are Good with Explanation is divided into three parts for your ease of navigating answer, passage, and questions, all at the same time.
Answer of Why Zoos are Good with Explanation
Tips and Process for 14- 17
- Answers are never in order
- Some paragraphs may not have an answer at all and some could contain more than one answer.
- Do this question at last. Each text will have several types of questions attached to it. If you do the matching information question last, you will have a good understanding of the passage by the time you get to it. This will make it easier and quicker to complete.
- This is not matching heading so you may not find your answer in the first and last sentence of the paragraph always
- You need to be aware of synonyms
- Search for the questions with names, numbers, places and dates information to match first. It is more easy to locate them.
Tips and process for 18-22
- The answers appear in the same order in the text as the order of the statements
- You don’t need to read the whole text. First, you will scan for keywords and then you’ll read in detail the section in which they’re located for the answer.
- There will be at least one of each answer type – True, False, Not Given. So, if you don’t have at least one of each when you’ve completed the question, you’ve made a mistake.
- Identify any words that qualify the statement, for example, some, all, mainly, often, always and occasionally. These words are there to test if you have read the whole statement because they can change the meaning. For example, ‘Coca-Cola has always made its drinks in the U.S.A.’ has a different meaning from ‘Coca-Cola has mainly made its drinks in the U.S.A.’
- The statements won’t be a word-for-word match to the information in the text. They will contain synonyms and paraphrasing. It’s the meaning that you are trying to match.
- Remember that at least one answer will be NG. This means that you will be searching for information that is not there.
- Don’t answer based on your assumptions
- If you can’t find the information you are looking for, then it is probably ‘not given’. Don’t waste time looking for something that is not there.
- If you have no idea what the answer is put ‘not given’. You probably have no idea because the answer is not there.
- Don’t write yes for True, No for false.
|14 B||quickly, animal species, die out||Para B, First line||Scan for the keywords and synonyms: quickly= sudden, animal species, die out = extinct.|
Now read intensively “Colossal numbers of species are becoming extinct across the world, and many more are increasingly threatened and therefore risk extinction. Moreover, some of these collapses have been sudden, dramatic and unexpected.”
The word “sudden” is a synonym for quickly, so the sentence suggests that some animals may become extinct, or die out, quickly.
|15 E||study animals, captivity,||Para E, line 3||Scan for the keywords and synonyms: study = research, captivity = animals in zoos, animals.|
Now read intensively “Being able to undertake research on animals in zoos where there is less risk and fewer variables means real changes can be effected on wild populations.”
Here, there is less risk and fewer variables = reasons why it is preferable
So, zoos have many advantages for studying how animals live, act and react.
|16 C||ways of learning, animals, other than||Para C||Scan for the keywords and synonyms: ways of learning, animals, other than visiting zoo, |
Read carefully “… .. television documentaries are becoming ever more detailed and impressive,. .” and again this line “ . . .and many natural history specimens are on display in museums, . .. . .”
Thus, this paragraph shows two ways of learning about animals other than visiting them in zoos.
|17 A||animals in zoos, healthier||Para A, line 3||Scan for the keywords and synonyms: animals in zoos, healthier.|
Read intensively, “Animals in good zoos get a varied and high-quality diet with all the supplements required, and any illnesses they might have will be treated.”
Zoos are healthy places for animals, including a good diet and treatment of illnesses.
|18 True||live , zoo,wild,||Para A, line 1||Scan for the keywords and synonyms: live, zoo, wild.|
Now read intensively; “it is perfectly possible for many species of animals living in zoos or wildlife parks to have a quality of life as high as, or higher than, in the wild.”
Here, a quality of life as high as, or higher than, in the wild means likely to live longer.
|19 True||species, zoos, found, wild,||Para B, line 6||Scan for the keywords and synonyms: species, zoos, no longer be found, wild, |
Now read this line “A good number of species only exist in captivity”.
A good number of species only exist in captivity implies that these species cannot be found in the wild.
|20 Not Given||wildlife documentaries, zoo visitors,||Para c, line 2||Scan for the keywords in para C.|
Television documentaries are becoming ever more detailed and impressive but there is no relation between this and zoo visitor numbers.
|21 False||zoos, transmitting animals,||Para D, line 1||Keywords for this question: zoos, transmitting information, about animals.|
Now read intensively, “This was an area where zoos used to be lacking. .. ”
This was an area where zoos used to be lacking, implies that zoos were not good at this in the past.
|22 Not Given||studying animals, in zoos,||Para E||Paragraph E talks about the role of zoos in research. But we do not find any information regarding stress in studying animals in the zoos or in the wild.|
|23 & 24 B, D||TWO, zoo staff,||Para D, line 5||Read this line now, “Many zoos also work directly to educate conservation workers in other countries, or send their animal keepers abroad to contribute their knowledge and skills to those working in zoos and reserves, ”|
Here, Many zoos also work directly to educate conservation workers in other countries means zoo staff can teach conservation workers.
Send their animal keepers abroad means that some animal keepers (a type of zoo staff) travel to overseas to help other zoo staff.
|25 & 26. B, E||TWO, beliefs||Para F and B, line 3||Read this line in para F, “They are vital not just in terms of protecting animals, but as a means of learning about them to aid those still in the wild, as well as educating and informing the general population about these animals and their world so that they can assist or at least accept the need to be more environmentally conscious.”|
In para B animals have been reintroduced into the wild means that animals will be raised in zoos before being released into the wild.
In para F educating and informing the general population about these animals means zoos can increase public
awareness of environmental issues.