IELTS Speaking Part 1: Topic Trust
- Who do you trust the most?
→ The one that springs to mind (1) is my mother. She was my very first best friend in life and always had my back(2) . Throughout the ups and downs(3) of my life, my mother has always stood by my side, and given me support whenever I needed.
- 1)To spring to mind /sprɪŋ tə maɪnd/
Example: Say the word “Australia” and a vision of beaches and blue seas immediately springs to mind.
- (2) To have my back /hæv maɪ bæk/
Example: I know my teammates have my back.
- (3) Ups and downs /ˌʌps ən ˈdaʊnz/
Example: Like most married couples we’ve had our ups and downs, but life’s like that.
- Have you ever lost trust in someone?
→ Yes, my best friend Jack, who used to be my closest confidant (4) until I saw him getting intimate with (5) my crush, even though he knew that had deep affection (6) for her. Then, we drifted apart (7) and our friendship came to a halt(8) . After that, I find it really hard to open up(9) and confide in (10) anybody.
- (4) My closest conﬁdant:
Example: Mira is a my closest confidant.
- (5) To get intimate with /ɡet ˈɪn.tɪ.mət wɪð/
Example: You can see I get intimate with my subject matter
- (6) To have deep affection
Example: I’ve avoided getting intimate with girls, so my early relationships were pretty fraught
- (7) To drift apart /drɪft əˈpɑːt /
Example: Ms. Iversen and her siblings drift apart.
- (8) To come to a halt:
Example: Everything would immediately come to a halt
- (9) To open up /ˈəʊ.pən ʌp/
Example: I’ve never opened up to anyone like I do to you.
- (10) To conﬁde in /kənˈfaɪd ɪn/
Example: She’s nice, but I don’t feel I can confide in her.
- What kind of people do you trust?
→ I guess only our family members are trustworthy (11) and willing to help us wholeheartedly(12) . You know, after being betrayed by my best friend, I kind of lose faith in humanity(13) . I am always afraid that when I confide in some, he or she may go behind my back(14) .
- (11) To be trustworthy /ˈtrʌstˌwɜː.ði/
Example: We have a brand that is perceived as trustworthy.
- (12) Wholeheartedly /ˌhəʊlˈhɑː.tɪd.li/
Example: I hear what you say and I wholeheartedly agree.
- (13) To lose faith in humanity:
Example: You must not lose faith in humanity.
- (14) To go behind my back /ɡəʊ bɪˈhaɪnd maɪ bæk/
Example: I can’t believe you went behind my back and gossiped about me!
- Do you trust Artiﬁcial Intelligence (AI)?
→ For now, it would be a yes. As long as there are regulations to limit (15) AI to a certain capacity, I believe that AI would contribute(16) greatly to the development of every society.
We moved to alwaysielts, A website for IELTS news from 55+ websites.
- (15) To limit /ˈlɪm.ɪt/
Example: I’ve been asked to limit my speech to ten minutes maximum.
- (16) To contribute /kənˈtrɪb.juːt/
Example: She contributes to several magazines.
This article is taken from ieltspracticeonline.com. Visit the website for more content like this.