What makes a good painting?
Ideas and Vocab
- the composition of all the parts
- the painter has a good eye (to know when something is good)
- perspective and symmetry (sizing and balance of all parts)
- using a particular style or an unusual technique (skill)
- the subject (person / landscape / animal etc)
- the balance of colours and contrasts
- to bring about an emotional response – it touches people
- to evoke a memory or idea
- impact – something you can’t take your eyes off
- historical background or relevance
From my perspective, I suppose a good painting is one you can’t take your eyes off. For me, it’s either due to the colours and images or because of the emotional reaction I might have to the painting. But I know that for other people, they think a good painting is usually because of the skill involved in painting it or because of the unique creativity of the artist. I guess that a good painting means something different to everybody.
This video shows an art dealer talking about what makes a good painting. It is not a video made for language learners so the English is advanced but hopefully you can still learn a lot from it.