This IELTS article is the property of https://www.ielts-simon.com/ielts-help-and-english-pr/2020/02/ielts-writing-task-1-notice-real-examples.html. Please visit the website for detail.
I was reading The Economist yesterday, and I noticed these sentences:
America’s total student debt, at over $1.5trn, is larger than the national borrowing of most countries. It has quintupled in size since 2004, overtaking both borrowing on credit cards and car finance.
I’ve highlighted a few useful features in the two sentences:
- adding a statistic between two commas using “at”
- a comparative: larger than
- cohesion (referencing) using the pronoun “it”
- quintupled = increased fivefold
- overtaking: you may be able to use this word when describing a graph
- comparing and contrasting using “both… and…”
If you’re reading articles in English, look out for real examples of the types of description that you might use for an IELTS task.