|Play this audio(Full Audio).|
Questions: 1 -5
Complete the Account Details using NO MORE THAN TWO WORDS for each blank space.
|Account Details Example: |
Account holder: No Discount offered.
First year students: (1) ………….
Name: Nasreen (2) …………..
Address: (3) ………… Mansions, Compton Street, London.
Postcode: SE (4) …………..
Telephone number: 0181 (5) ………….
Put a tick in the spaces below, if the information is correct. Or fill in the blank with the correct information, if it is wrong. The first one has been done for you as an example.
Questions 9 & 10: Circle the appropriate letter.
9. To collect the books the student must bring
- three forms of identification.
- two forms of identification.
- one form of identification.
- two forms of identification and the university confirmation letter.
10. The books will be kept
- A in the Chemistry Department in the basement.
- B in the Physics Department in the baserrfent.
- C in the Physics Department on the first floor.
- D in the Maths Department in the basement.
Circle the appropriate letter.
1 1. There are__________________________ student counsellors at the university.
- A six
- B four
- C five
- D three
12. The speaker has come to talk about the____________________ .
- A Student Union
- B Student Welfare Service
- C student health
- D Student Accommodation Service
13. The number of main sites is ………
- A three
- B four
- C five
- D six
14. Where on this site is the student counsellor’s office?
Complete the notes below using NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS for each answer.
15. The information leaflet is available almost____________________ .
16. The Helpline in the evenings and weekends is dependent on the____________
17. The Helpline is staffed at the weekends for____________________ .
18. Students contact the Student Welfare Service for a ___________________ .
19. If the counsellors cannot help you, they will put you in touch with____________
20. The Service gives____________________to all volunteers on the Helpline.
USE NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS to answer the following questions:
21. On what topic did Jim write his essay? _____________________________________
22. Besides the OECD statistics, what other figures did Jim use?
23. At the beginning of his essay, what does Jim say the 19th century Luddites and people today are worried about?
In Jim’s essay, there are 3 reasons for people’s fears and 2 reasons why people’s fears are unjustified.
In each case below, choose the option which accurately describes the point. The first one is an example.
Example: The first reason for fear:
- a IT affects service and traditional industries
- b Electricity affects service and traditional industries
24. The second reason for fear:
- a The introduction of IT is more demanding than other technologies
- b The introduction of IT is happening more quickly than for previous technologies
25. The third reason for fear:
- a IT makes it easier to change jobs
- b IT makes it easier for employers to move jobs around
26. The first reason why people’s fears are unjustified:
- a There has been a continuous rise in people in work and income in rich countries
- b Technological advance has industrialised rich countries
27. The second reason why people’s fears are unjustified:
- a New jobs are not upsetting old ones
- b New jobs are replacing old ones
Questions 28 30: Circle the appropriate letter.
28. New technology does not always reduce employment, because
- A people do not need to work as hard as before.
- B new products are a necessity.
- C it can create new demand.
- D it can slow down output.
29. In his conclusion, Jim says that IT should not destroy jobs, if
- A there is a balance.
- B the workforce are favourable.
- C the workforce are businessmen.
- D the workforce have a good education and they are skilled.
30. The phrase, a favourable business climate, means an environment where
- A there is not too much in the way ofp rotectionism.
- B there are many restrictions, rules and regulations.
- C minimum wage levels are too high. *
- D restrictions on work practices exist.
Complete the notes using NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS for your answer.
31. The speaker is a specialist in _____________________ .
32. The speaker is giving the_____________________of the term.
33. The focus of her talk is the purpose o f____________________ .
34. Good design leads to _____________________ .
35. One facet of the role of design ist o make sure that products do the job they are
36. People are persuaded to buyp roducts by_________and__________________ .
37. A shopper may buy a personal stereo for its____________________as well as its trendy appearance.
Questions 38-41: Circle the appropriate letter.
38. The role of the designer is becoming more important, because …
- A the progress of technology is slightly faster than it was.
- B there are possibilities for new ideas.
- C products break more easily these days.
- D every model has to be updated more quickly.
39. In the medical field, the designer is engaged in …
- A developing a range of new equipment.
- B old equipment that is developing.
- C everything related to hospital portering equipment.
- D advising inventors.
40. Designers can help manufacturers by …
- A exporting their designs.
- B helping to make their products attractive.
- C making their products appreciated by other manufacturers.
- D training them to appreciate design.